1. Water – Be sure to get your fluids to prevent dehydration, low blood pressure and improve constipation- all potential problems in PD.
2. Prunes – “Not just for grandma”. High in antioxidants, fiber, vitamin A and potassium plus effectively treats constipation.
3. Salmon, sardines and tuna – Packs a “big punch” for protein plus high in heart healthy omega 3s. Eating sardines with the bones adds calcium. Be careful how much tuna you eat in one week due to accumulation of mercury.
4. Berries – Pomegranates, cranberries, blueberries, blackberries. All high in antioxidants.
5. Broccoli – “Your mom was right- eat your broccoli”. Source of antioxidants and a high source of fiber, vitamin C, calcium, iron and magnesium for a vegetable.
6. Green Tea – Great source of phytochemicals that serve as antioxidant and a way to get your fluids too. A source of anti-oxidants for those wanting low (no) calorie options.
7. Chocolate! – Cocoa, rich in flavinoids and other antioxidants, may reduce the risk of cardiovascular and stroke disease. Dark chocolate is highest in cocoa (choose brads with >70% cocoa). Cocoa may also increase brain serotonin a chemical that modulates mood. Beware that processed chocolate is high in fat and processed sugars so not good for everyone. Moderation is key!
8. Ginger – Ginger has been used for centuries to treat nausea and research is proving its value for treatment of nausea during chemotherapy or with motion sickness. Ginger can help the nausea caused by dopaminergic medicines to treat PD. Using ginger root or candied ginger is one way to insure you are getting the real product as the purity of supplements is not regulated.
9. Papaya – Fruit not only high in antioxidants but may also contains an enzyme papain that can thin thick saliva. (Meat tenderizer made from papaya root mixed with water also helps).
10. Oatmeal – Easy to swallow, easy to prepare, high in fiber, and low in calories. This food is a low protein option for breakfast (high protein can reduce Ldopa absorption) also promotes heart health, may reduce cholesterol.
Submit your own Top Foods and the reasons why to expand this list!